The votes are in for the Best of GayCities 2014, and oh what a great gay world it is.
GayCities members tapped Toronto for the coveted title of “City of the Year.” Savannah won for “Hidden Gem,” while Tel Aviv earned the unusual distinction of best pride parade in a country lacking full marriage equality.
San Francisco was the biggest winner, taking the crown in “Best Gayborhood,” while managing top honors in both “Marriage Mecca” and “Singles Scene.” One thing leads to the other, as they say.
Here’s the complete list of categories, winners and nominees…
- City of the Year: Toronto bested Berlin, London, Rio, Philadelphia, Bangkok
- Pride Without Marriage: Tel Aviv finished in the lead over Austin, Rome, Tokyo, Prague, Dallas
- Sultriest City: Barcelona beat out Bali, Miami, Las Vegas, Bangkok, Mexico City
- Foodie Paradise: Paris narrowly beat out New Orleans, followed closely by Chicago, Austin, Lima, San Francisco
- Fun in the Sun: Puerto Vallarta triumphed over San Diego, Montego Bay, Miami, Cancun, Key West
- Culture Experience: Artifacts in Athens won over Street Art in Melbourne, Ballet in New York, Opera in Vienna, Theatre in Chicago, Jazz in New Orleans
- Layover City: New York was the winner with runner ups London, Miami, Singapore, Chicago, Hong Kong
- Hidden Gem: Savannah over Omaha, Albuquerque, San Antonio, Columbus
- Singles Scene: San Francisco won in a large margin over London, Toronto, Portland, Los Angeles, Sao Paulo
- Marriage Mecca: San Francisco overcame Buenos Aires, Sydney, London, Paris, Madrid
- Honeymoon Hotspots: Hawaii over Costa Rica, Bali, Puerto Rico, Phuket, Provincetown
- Shopping District: Bond Street, London defeated Ginza, Tokyo; Union Square, San Francisco; Paris, Magnificent Mile, Chicago; Bahnhofstrasse, Zurich
- Best Gayborhood: San Francisco took top honors in a landslide over New York, Puerto Vallarta, Philadelphia, Wilton Manners, Chicago
One GayCities member who voted in Best Of GayCities 2014 will receive a trip for two anywhere in the United States where Hyatt operates a hotel for a three night stay, compliments of Hyatt and GayCities. Stay tuned…