Shawn Pepas Lettman is a Lyft driver and father of two from Brooklyn. Last weekend, he found himself the target of a racist attack by gay Trump supporter who refused to get out of his car.
It all started when a passenger leaving a gay club requested Lettman change the music in his car. Lettman declined the request and the passenger became irate, prompting Lettman to pull over.
In the video, the passenger can be seen screaming into his phone at Lyft customer service, hurling racial slurs at Lettman, making offensive threats, and refusing to get out of the car until he is refunded his $8.01 for the ride and police arrive so he can file a report.
Here are just a few of the things the passenger says in the video:
- “I came out of a gay club and your driver is racist against gay people.”
- “I called the police to protect myself because I know my legal rights as an American citizen that voted for Trump…I’m not gonna stop talking you piece of sh*t.”
- “I’m gonna make his night a living hell.”
- “Tell me why I’m in a Lyft and the n*gger f*cking pulled over…The n*gger’s recording me without my consent…F*ck Black Lives Matter. Every life matters.”
- “We’re waiting for police because this f*ggot charged me… I’m not letting this mother f*cker go!”
Lettman recorded the whole thing and later uploaded it to social media. He explains:
The video pretty much speaks for itself but what the video doesn’t show is what happened next. After the end of the video, i had to also call the police for myself expressing my concerns and fear of what will happen if i was not assisted. Luckily there was no physical confrontation but the company i drive with felt it necessary to cancel my account pending investigation. … I didn’t ask for this nor did i want this. I know America is better than this and despite the hate we have to deal with from a few, my heart tells me, the world is mostly good.