Every few years a stand-up comic comes along who dazzles us with subversive humor, biting social commentary and an effortless ability to “go there” and say what we’re all really thinking but lack courage to speak aloud. Think Joan Rivers, Kathy Griffin and Sarah Silverman… Amy Schumer is the latest addition to this august group of very funny ladies. As soon as she rose to national prominence with Inside Amy Schumer, her hilarious, provocative and unmissable Comedy Central sketch series, we knew she’d join the ranks of eternal gay icons. Now with the fantastic early buzz surrounding Trainwreck, her feature film starring debut, that day is here.
Below are just eight of the reasons we bow down before her. (Trust us, we could go on indefinitely.)
1. That time she took a break from her workout to photobomb a gay couple’s engagement photo shoot.
2. She loves Madonna
almost just as much as we do. She’s even warming up the crowd for her during the Queen of Pop’s New York shows on the Rebel Heart Tour. Check out Amy’s youthful cover of “Like a Prayer.” She’ll be a tough act for Madge to follow.
3. Did we mention her subversive humor and social commentary? Nothing is off limits for Amy, whether it’s abortion or rape. Amy can find the funny in any taboo subject. Rarely has anyone riffed on the shelf life for ladies in Hollywood more pointedly than when Amy enlisted pals Patricia Arquette, Tina Fey and Julia Louis-Dreyfus for this video when they all drank a toast to the Veep star’s last f***able day.
4. Her Twitter account is better than yours, ours…everybody’s.
— Amy Schumer (@amyschumer) July 10, 2015
5. She never stops trying to improve herself and picks up life lessons where she finds them — even from elderly gay men seated next to her on a plane.
6. The lady can take down a heckler with aplomb like no one else.
7. She’s such close friends with dreamboats like Jon Hamm that she can convince him to do his
Starfin Stefon impression in front of the cameras.
8. Amy likes to plan ahead. Trainwreck hasn’t even been released and there’s already a sequel in the works!