The incident happened at Pleasuredrome in Waterloo on Sunday. The 37-year-old man had been enjoying the sauna when all of a sudden he collapsed. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, where doctors were unable to revive him.
Pleasuredrome, London’s self-proclaimed “best sauna for gay men,” has a drug and smoke free policy. The bathhouse boasts two large dry saunas, two steam rooms, a spa, tanning salon, 24-hour café, and 400-locker changing room.
A spokeswoman for Scotland Yard told the Standard: “Police were called at approximately 3:40 p.m. yesterday by staff at a south London hospital after a man who had been admitted there earlier in the day died…The death is being treated as unexplained at this time.”
This is not the first time something like this has happened at Pleasuredrome.
In 2012, 41-year-old Greg Page was found dead inside the sauna the same evening 46-year-old John Scott collapsed and was rushed to hospital, where he, too, died. A joint investigation found high quantities of dance drug GHB in both men’s systems. A third man was found dead inside the bathhouse later that year after overdosing on mephedrone and GHB.
As a result of Sunday’s death, the Pleasuredrome was forced to close temporarily while police conducted their investigation.